Making lasagna can be a time-consuming process and finding the healthiest pre-made cheese in stores that tastes good is challenging.
You can make your own plant-based creations at home, but if you do, consider making them ahead.
Roughly chop the following ingredients to resemble beef/sausage crumbles
- 2 medium carrots (Consider using a food processor for carrots separately)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
OTHER SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups black beans and/or tempeh, crumbled by hand
- 1/4 cup date paste, date sugar, chopped raisins, or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, semi crushed (sausage flavor)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce, dark miso paste slurry, or 1/2 teaspoon salt (soy helps to buffer salt)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomato or purée
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup plant-based Parmesan Cheese (See recipe)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plant-based Ricotta Cheese (See recipe)
- 2-4 cups leafy greens, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, 1/4 inch thick, optional
- 10-12 lasagna noodles, whole grain or vegetable pasta—just soak in warm water for about 10 minutes (No need to boil)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chopped SAUCE INGREDIENTS (carrots, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and garlic) in a large nonstick pot over medium heat and simmer until softened or lightly browned.
- Add OTHER SAUCE INGREDIENTS, cover, and return to a simmer for 30 more minutes.
- If using zucchini as a layer, lay out zucchini slices on a parchment lined baking sheet or baking mat and bake for 10-13 minutes, watching carefully until lightly browned.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of SAUCE INGREDIENTS mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and arrange a layer of noodles on top. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles.
- Add a thin layer of each—chopped greens, zucchini, sauce, noodles, ricotta, chopped greens, zucchini, sauce—and add a light layer of parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- After baking, top with a light sprinkling of plant-based parmesan cheese and fresh parsley or green onions for presentation.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with salad and whole grain garlic bread.
The Whole Food Plant-Based Diet eBook offers many Pasta and Lasagna recipes